Friday, October 19, 2007

Joe Torre

Let's be clear about one thing ~ I have a very very strong dislike for the New York Yankees. Some would call it hate, but I try and reserve that word for how I feel about other things - racists, child abusers, people who kick puppies, you get the picture. So I characterize what I have for the Yanks as "strong dislike."

But I like Joe Torre. There's a certain dignity and grace about him that I've always appreciated. I've wondered for the last few years whether that dignity and grace was stung by the annual post-season manic analysis of his Yankees career amid rumours of impending firing. And I was glad to see that he finally got to walk away from the team (mostly) on his own terms. The offer that the Yankees made to him may have been a joke, intended to force him out, but at least he got to say no. I think it's the best kind of exit he could have hoped for. And I think he would look dashing in a Blue Jays uniform.

5 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

ah but if only the Blue Jays' uniforms had... pinstripes...

Crimson Rambler said...

You go, my Redshanks!!!

John Brough said...

Do you think it would be a worth-while thing for the Jays to loose Gibbons, for Torre?

I kind of like the current Jays skipper, but maybe only because he isn't afraid to throw a punch in retaliation to one of his players.

Annie's Mom said...

In all honesty, it's hard to say. Gibbons is a reasonably good manager for young players; Torre is a very good manager for veteran players. The Blue Jays are a relatively young team, though players like Frank Thomas and Vernon Wells might benefit from having a manager from whom they know they have unconditional support.

I'm not sure that Torre would actually be a good fit, but I'm not sold on Gibbons either. I probably would have thrown a punch or two myself, but it's hard to ignore the fact that the Jays seriously under-achieved last year.

I'd be interested to see what someone like Joe Girardi would do with the Jays though.

Towanda said...

I hate the yankees, but agree completely that the way they treated Torre was a shame.