Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In which Chorus rages...

It seems to me that we are inundated, daily, by stories that are horrifying, jarring, nasty and nauseating. Stories of war and the victims of it, stories of homes and lives destroyed by hurricanes, stories of desperation in the face of a crumbling economy.... there is no shortage. Somehow, in the face of them all, we manage to get up every morning and go on with our lives, living them as fruitfully and as productively and as happily as we can manage. We have an incredible capacity to manage this great quantity of sadness and soldier on.

But every now and again, a story comes along that I find much more difficult to digest. I'm not sure exactly why, but stories like this one will weigh on my mind for hours. And maybe that's because I struggle to comprehend how anybody finds this kind of thing amusing or entertaining or acceptable. It is so simply unnecessary and cruel... so clearly avoidable, so inexplicably nasty.

7 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

The story is bothersome and the comments aren't all that consoling either.

I'm Still Me said...

The story makes me so sad and irritated. And people wonder why I'm not exactly a supporter of hunters. Cases like this make them as a group look stupid and heartless.

Patrick C said...

I don't think that the fellow who shot the dog should be allowed to play with guns again. Ever.

Stealthy Dachshund said...

CR has forgotten the first rule of CBC news stories: Don't Read The Comments!

As near as I can figger, the amplified impact of 'hurt animal' stories is because of the life-long support an animal needs and their independence.

There's a competing theory that says it's an over-reaction by reasonable people to compensate for the fact that a minority really don't see the problem.

How'd you like to be a family member of that guy's significant other, knowing the correlation between violence against animals and violence against people?

Patrick C said...

I stopped reading the CBC comments section after looking over the responses to that poor Polish guy getting tasered to death in the Vancouver Airport.

Sue said...

((((chorus))))

I couldn't even read the whole story. It's just too damn sad.

Julie said...

I clicked on the link and then decided not to read the story based on the title. I just can't stomach it...too incomprehensible.