Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On Tiger Woods



So, he won the US Open. He hung in there for 91 holes with the surgically-repaired knee and won his 14th major, attributed by him as the best of his career.

And today there are early reports that the knee will require new surgery and he will be gone for the rest of the season. People will, I'm sure, immediately proclaim that the new surgery is a result of pushing through the Open, and that's not known yet, but it's probably a fair assumption that playing the Open didn't help the knee at all.

So the question is, was it worth it? Was playing the tournament of his life, grinding and pushing and hitting all of those must-sink putts, worth losing the rest of the season?

My guess is that for Tiger Woods, there are no regrets. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that re-thinks a lot of decisions, or spends a lot of time second-guessing himself. He wanted to play the US Open, he wanted to win the US Open. Mission Accomplished.

And while I'll miss watching Tiger for the rest of the year, I wouldn't trade the excitement of this last weekend for more opportunities to see him in the months to come. It was, by far, the most fun I've had following a golf tournament in my entire life.
__________________________

*And it was that exciting despite an entirely annoying broadcast by NBC. Just shut up and show golf shots, for crying out loud. There are posts brewing about sports broadcasts... more to come...

2 comments:

Sue said...

Tiger never ceases to amaze me. His competitive drive, his concentration, his zen-like self assurance. I agree - he's not a guy who regrets.

I'll miss him for awhile, but he will come back better than ever.

Crimson Rambler said...

and it wasn't "just the knee" -- the poor toad was playing on a BROKEN LEG, for crying out loud...